Sunday, January 25, 2009

Early morning, might as well post something...

It's early Sunday morning, Collin has decided that 05:00 is a good time to get up today. He obviously didn't ask for my opinion. Anyway, before I start getting ready for church I have an actual minute and a half to myself to post on my blog, check my emails, check my FB, and read about the current events I've missed this week. How exciting eh?

As I type I do this in a little bit of actual pain and soreness. I was skiing one day, and tubing the next. On Friday I spent my afternoon skiing with Calvin's Ski Skool class. Fortunately for Calvin we were split up into different groups. I found that it's better for someone else to teach my kids to ski rather than their mom. Anyway my group had the more advanced skiers of his class. I must say I was a little nervous to get up on the slopes because it's been 14 year since I last went. I kept thinking to myself,"you can do this, just don't fall"... So the afternoon goes by, I've been down a couple of runs, my rental skis are not a very good feel, neither are the boots, but their manageable, I can feel the edges are not sharp as I take my turns and cut into the snow.
So I'm doing a demonstration for the kids in my group about going from snow plowing to skiing parallel because we can actually ski through the 'terrain' (woodsy areas) on the run we're on. So I'm skiing through the area looking like my old self from years passed when POOOFFF! I was totally humbled by mother nature. I wiped-out doing exactly what I just told the kids not to do... you always look in the direction of where you're skiing... and I should have taken my own advice. What happened was as I was getting through the brush the tip of my ski caught a rogue branch on the ground that was hiding in the snow, which could have been totally avoidable if I just kept my eyes on the terrain. Of course I'm just mortified that I have fallen because I haven't fell in over 20 years. The kids are speechless because Mrs. D never falls. As I'm laying in the deep snow I break out into laughter and I look at the kids who are just staring at me not knowing what to do. So I turn to them and say, "Why am I the only one laughing? Wasn't that the most amazing face-plant you ever saw?" Then they all started laughing. We get down the run and take a few more runs before heading to the chalet. Once in the chalet Calvin and his group are there waiting for us. Calvin tells me how his lesson went and asked how did ours go. The kids and my group are all sitting around us just silent. So I tell them, "Okay Amazing Super Stars" (that's the name I gave the group) "tell Calvin what his mom did today." So they all start talking about how Mrs. D wiped-out. Calvin looks at me like 'really mom?', and I told him, "See, even I fall down sometimes, but you just have to get back up and keep going. And you have to be able to laugh at yourself when silly things like that happen." I put the biggest smile on his face to know that even I, the mom who shreds the slopes, falls and still gets back up and keeps going. Of course I don't think I'll ever live that down, but I don't mind. I think I got through to Calvin about having the courage to withstand his obstacles in skiing and hopefully in life.
Oh, by the way, I just wanted to say that I didn't realize how much I missed skiing and how much I love it! So I talked to Jeremy and I think I'll be getting my own skis and a pass to the ski resort for the rest of the season. It's such great exercise, it's so relaxing, and I get to enjoy the outdoors. For those of you who ski, get out there and hit the slopes. For those of you who don't ski yet...and I say yet because you need to try... I hope you enjoy the sport as much as I do.
SEE YOU ON THE SLOPES!!!!

No comments: