Friday, November 11, 2011

Do You Ever Feel ________ (you fill in the blank)?

For the past few days I've had some "Do you ever feel ___" moments. These are the moments where I ask myself questions like "Why?", and I often shake my head in wonderment. If this isn't making any sense to you, then don't worry about it.

For example... Do you ever feel irritated that people are so self-absorbed nowadays? I find this irritates me like crazy. We are coming to the holidays, and now more than ever, do I think of others. Jeremy says that's one of my good qualities, that I always put other first. I think of what I can do to make things better for another. But my fault in that is that I expect others to do the same, and it just doesn't happen. We have people in our lives who will just disappoint us because they don't see that it's not always about "them", but that others matter too.

Do you ever feel like there are never enough hours in the day? YES! I certainly do. Getting through my day often consists of getting through my "daily list". I am definitely a "list" person, and I like to get everything done on my list before I go to bed every night. It makes me feel accomplished and happy when I get things done to the best of my ability, and it's great if there's some free time left over. Anyway, there are some days that I just feel like I could use an extra hour or two to get things done during my day. People wonder what does a stay-at-home mom do to stay that busy, well let me tell you there is PLENTY that needs to be done to run a household of active boys. Yesterday, my day started at 5 AM to get Jason off to Early Morning Seminary at 5:45 AM. And my day ended about 11:45 PM, that's the last time I looked at the clock before I got to bed.

Do you ever feel like you spend money on things you really don't want to spend money on? I've been feeling like this lately as I've been working on a regular weekly budget for our family. Clipping coupons and looking for the latest deals in the weekly ads have been a common site at our dining room table on Tuesday's. This is where I spend about 45 minutes browsing through the grocery ads for Safeway, Albertson's, QFC, and Top Market. After looking through all of the sales and deals for the week, I often put together a meal plan that will use these items. From doing this I've probably cut about $40 a week in spending when it comes to groceries and household items. So yes, I hate spending extra money on things like groceries.

Do you ever feel torn between working in the home and working outside the home? YES all of the time. I love my boys, and I love being home for them after school when they get home, and I love that I can be there for them whenever they need me. But, I miss working and having conversations with adults on a regular basis. Now that Collin is in a pre-school program twice a week I've had a little bit of time to myself to get things done in the home. And since Jason is almost 16 and Calvin is 12, it's been nice to have babysitters at home. So lately I've been applying for part-time jobs to get me out and into the workforce. I've had a couple of interviews that were successful, but when I found out about the actual jobs I had to turn them down because they just weren't for me. So working part-time, I think, will be the answer to my need for socialization and still being there for my boys.

Do you ever feel happy? YES! With everything going on in my life with my husband, kids, and other obligations, I am definitely happy and content with my life. I think that's just it, even with the other "Do You Ever Feel'S", when it all comes down to it I am very happy, and that's what counts.

No comments: