Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I don't think I can fit anymore onto my plate! yeah right!

And so it begins... actually I think it's always been there. Sometimes I feel like I'm just riding the roller coaster of life and I'm not quite sure what's coming around the bend. This month is just hectic at work, at home, and everywhere else.

This week is American Education Week. And as all of you know I work for the school district here on Ft. Riley. This week has been especially exciting for our school because we just received the National Blue Ribbon Award. This award is given to 5 schools in Kansas a year, and 200 nationally. Anyway, it's a big deal for our little school. Our principal is in Washington D.C. accepting our award as we speak. As a school employee, I am so proud to be a part of this exciting event. On Thursday we have set up a wonderful program to celebrate. We have members of our State Government and Fort Riley Commanders attending so we've been getting things ready. We, one of our secretaries and one of the paras and myself, painted a mural on our stage yesterday. We've hung Americana swags from the top of the stage. And for the last month we have been pestering businesses to donate money to our school so that we could get "Blue Ribbon" T-shirt for all of the students and staff. Today I picked up 350 t-shirts and had to sort through the sizes to make sure everyone gets the right one. We also have a Support Staff Breakfast to host, a Multicultural Pot-luck Dinner to put on. I'm not sure when I'm going to sit down and catch my breath.

On Saturday I'll be at the Jefferson Craft Fair selling Y-ties (shoelace strings that you don't have to tie) and home-made greeting cards. Of course I didn't make the cards, my sister-in-laws did, and they are the cutest things (thanks Shauntae and Heather). I'm hoping this will get their names out there and possibly get a customer base going for them. They've done such a great job they really should do this full time.

Next week is my birthday- yeah! And of course Thanksgiving! I will be making the traditional feast with a twist- I believe I will be frying the turkey this year. And yes, the Draper family tradition of making home-made raviolis will be happening. I think this year I'm going to keep my hands out of it and let the boys make them (maybe not).

The following week Jeremy will be having Lasik surgery on his eyes and having a cyst removed from the lower part of his jaw. So I'll be having to tend to my husband as his vision will be impaired for a few days.

The week after we have Calvin's baptism. We did have to move it up a week because of Jeremy's surgery. He's so excited about his baptism, I think he's invited everyone on Fort Riley. The following day Jason will be ordained a Deacon- I can't believe my baby is turning 12 years old at the end of this month. He's excited about his also, but I think he's also nervous about the responsibility he is taking on. We're so proud of our boys.

Thank goodness we have the week off between Christmas and New Year's. I'm really going to need that break from everything.

Any good advice on how to relax during the stressful days??? (My massage therapist is my new best friend!)

Love and miss you all!
Mel

1 comment:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Wow! Lots of craziness and busyness, huh? Wish Jeremy luck on his surgeries, I've been trying to convince Nick to do the Lasik for years....