Monday, February 23, 2009

Random thoughts

As I sit here, burping the baby and typing with one hand, random thoughts have been passing through my head....let's see...

First thought: yesterday we had a wonderful lesson on living within our means, dress standards, being healthy through following the Word of Wisdom, fuel for the mind/body/and soul, and being self reliant. I don't know how Liz managed to fit that all within an hour, but she did, and it was great! It's amazing that in the 1800's our Joseph Smith was given the council of all of these things, and yet in our day there are so many still not following this council. I think we all try to, but 'doing' is another story. A huge problem for many is the living within one's means, my theory is if I don't have the $$$ for it I don't need it. I think living in northern NH is great thing when it comes to this- shopping around here is, well, it's sparse. Dress standards, that's an easy one for us. Following the Word of Wisdom, that's pretty good too. But the one thing people forget to do is to eat things sparingly and in moderation. It's not just the alcohol/ coffee/ tea thing, there's so much more to it. Fuel for the mind/body/soul, that's been getting easier for me because I've been given the opportunity to teach- which means I need to be more prepared and really know what I'm talking about. Self reliance: there's something there I need to improve on. My goal this year is to plant a garden so that we can have fresh vegetables at our table. I've always wanted to do this because it would help us to not be so reliant on the grocery store and it's nice to know where our food is coming from. Other than the gardening bit I think we've done pretty good in this area since we've moved across the country a couple of times, got through deployment and months of military training, and the kids have helped us to grow in this area too. So lots of thoughts on the lesson from yesterday, thanks again Liz.

Second thought: wow this is a heck of a lot of snow!!! I woke up to Collin's little giggles, looked out the window and saw the snow still falling. The snow started on Saturday and hasn't stopped yet, today is Monday.... This is a lot of snow that we're getting and I don't see and end in site, maybe June. Jeremy and I were out on the roof of the laundry room and garage yesterday shoveling snow off the roof. Yes indeed we have to shovel the snow off the roof or else it starts to build up causing leaks in the roof or possibly even having the roof fall in. We've actally had to shovel the roof a couple of times this season. Thank goodness we have guy who plows our drive way, that's not fun to clean off, we've done it a couple of times. Our drive way is pretty long, you could probably park 10 cars on it, so it really isn't fun when you have to clean the snow off of it.

Third thought: I've been in contact with my cousins and I miss them. It's been a long time since I've seen many of them, like 20 years. But since we've found each other on Faceb@@k it's like we never lost touch in the first place. I've talked to a bunch of them and it's great. They've been trying to talk us into moving to California since that's were most of my family lives. And honestly, after this last blizzard I'm starting to think California wouldn't be so bad. (Here's a plug for my cousin's band... if you want to a great CD to listen to Switchfoot is definitely it... you can listen to it on my blog page.)

Fourth thought: The kids are on winter break this week, how am I going to keep them busy? Tomorrow I'm taking them to see Coraline. Wednesday, not sure what we're doing. Thursday, I think we're going skiing. Friday we may hit the slopes again if I can't think of anything else for them to do.

Fifth thought: I loved the movie Taken. Go out and see it. Jeremy and I went out for our date on Saturday. We watched Taken, out to dinner, and shopped for a couple of things. The movie was great!

I think I've emptied my thoughts onto this blog... now onward, the day is young and there is laundry and vacuuming to do.... have a great day!

2 comments:

Stephen and Heather said...

Your cousin is part of Switchfoot? We love several of their songs. That is cool.
I am also tired of the snow. Hunter even told me today that he is ready for spring and summer. That is sad since he is 6.

Melanie Draper said...

My cousin in Jerome Fontamillas, he's the guitarist and he also plays keyboard, and I think he sings the background vocals too.