Yesterday was just like every other day in our hectic lives~ wake up, Jeremy and the big boys get ready for work and school, they leave for the day, make breakfast for Collin, get cleaning up and start a laundry load, run errands, etc. The only difference was I made it a point not to get angry at the little things~ the boys not picking up their clothes in their rooms, the dog's pad not cleaned up, etc. And it sure did make a difference in my day. I've noticed that I've been getting angry at a lot of things lately, and it started to make things tense in our home. So this week I committed myself to "not sweating the small stuff". I will say that I was happier yesterday than I've been in a long time. Not only was I feeling at peace with myself, but I was able to truly appreciate the life I have.
Jeremy had a crazy day working on the other side of the state and he usually comes home beat after working in Orford. But yesterday he made it just in time for Calvin's DARE Graduation, and Calvin's face lit up when he saw his dad there, in turn making Jeremy smile from ear to ear to see his son on stage. And of course this just passed on to me. After the graduation we headed to our Wednesday night dinner place in town. We had such a nice family dinner with fun conversation and laughter.
When we got home it was a little late, but we started to watch a movie together. At about 9:30 (30 minutes past bedtime for Calvin), Calvin decided that it was time for bed and that we would continue the movie the next day. No fighting him to go to bed or brushing his teeth, it was just a great night to finish off the day. I went to bed thinking 'this is how life should always be'. And I woke up with a true appreciation of my family and the blessings they are in my life.
I really truly believe that my change in attitude is the key. If I'm happy and calm, they'll be happy and calm. I'm hoping to have the strength and patience to stay committed to not being angry at the little things. I'm so thankful to have such great "AHA" days!
No comments:
Post a Comment