Saturday, November 26, 2011

Driving Decisions...

After a day of shopping and stuffing our faces with delicious sushi and cupcakes we started packing up for our 12 hour roadtrip to Utah. We wanted to have the van packed and ready to go for our 2 AM planned departure time. Jeremy and I ususally like to drive in the middle of the night because the kids are asleep and quiet. Also the roads are not as busy. We figured that if we left at 2 AM we would get to Logan by about 3 PM with gas and food stops included.

Of course nothing ever goes as planned. The day's weather was clear and sunny until about 4 PM (NOV 18). It started to snow. Seeing this we got the car completely packed just in case we had to leave earlier because of the weather. And of course the snow started to really come down. This started to worry me because we would have to drive through numerous mountain passes in Washington, Oregon, and Idaho. So we decided that when Jeremy got home we would leave as soon as possible. This meaning we would have to convince Jeremy to leave earlier because we knew what he was going to say. He would say, "Let's just wait it out until the storm passes." And of course he did! He fought leaving early until about 8:15 PM when he saw that we were all getting in the van to leave.

I drove for about 8 hours, straight through the storms and the snowy/icy mountain passes. Kirstyn was up with me for most of the drive keeping me company. The boys slept in the back. And Jeremy was asleep for most of it in the front seat. Driving through Yakima I had my jumpiest moment. While the van was mostly silent, Kirstyn and I had a pause in our conversation making it quiet. All of a sudden Jeremy yelled out, "LOOK OUT! THERE'S A BEAR!" It really startled me and I was looking everywhere for the bear. I looked at Kirstyn in the rear view mirror and she had the same puzzled look on her face that I had on mine, 'what bear?' Jeremy was having a strange dream I guess and then went back to sleep. Just crazy!

At about 6 AM Jeremy took over the rest of the driving. And I slept through most of Idaho, not a bad thing. So the drive actually took us about 16 hours because of the weather. If we had waited the weather out, we wouldn't have made it to Utah in time. The weather contiuned and got worse after we had left, so I'm thankful we left when we did.

We arrived in Newton at about 1 PM and dropped of Kirstyn. Headed to the hotel, unpacked, and rested until 4:30 PM. Then headed to the Anniversary Dinner at 4:50 PM.

No comments: