Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow days! The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!

This week started out with the boys having Monday off because of the MLK holiday and Tuesday off because of a scheduled 'Teacher Work Day'. Then came Wednesday, the first snow day of the school year. Luckily Jeremy was able to stay home with them since all of his patients cancelled. I, on the other hand, braved the unclean roads and made it into work. Because the weather was starting to worsen we closed early so I was home by 4 PM. Snow day-schmow day... that didn't stop Jeremy and I going to see a movie last night. By the time we got out of the movie there was almost no one on the roads and the roads shined in the moonlight, they were covered in ice. We've driven through blizzards and ice storms before so it was no problem for us to get home from the theater. We find it amusing that here in this area there are not enough snow plows to keep the roads clean from snow and ice. I read that there are only 130 snow plows in the west part of Washington. Coming from snowy New Hampshire, where snow is present from Halloween to Easter, we never had a snow day. But that's because the roads are always clear there. Oh well.

This morning another snow day was called because of the ice on the roads, the freezing rain, and the snow. I was planning on going into work when I found out the on-ramp to the highway where I get on was blocked by a semi-truck that had rolled over. And the exit where I get off was blocked by another accident and the line of cars was about 1.5 miles and piling up. So I decided not to go in. Jeremy on the other hand went in to see his 7 patients, they were glad he went in. He should be home in about an hour, but not before picking up some things at the store.

I've been watching the news reports about power outages in the area and they have warned us that the power will most likely go out for our area as well. The powerlines don't do well when ice forms on them. So for preparation I have brought out the candles, matches, flashlights, and boiled water for use (it's in a hot/cold cooler so it stays warm). Hopefully all will be fine tonight, and the day will get back to normal tomorrow. I have a feeling this will all be melted by Sunday.

1 comment:

All the Angles said...

I would much rather have the snow covered roads of Colorado to navigate than a sheet of ice on the roads to drive. When I was a nanny in Michigan we had a rain and then a freeze and it was a terrifying morning driving to a youth activity. Luckily by the time we were ready to go home the sun had melted the ice.
But it is ALWAYS fun to stay home on a cold day and be cozy and warm with those you love the most!