Saturday, January 12, 2013

Thoughts for the New Year

The time for New Year's resolutions has come and gone, but that doesn't mean it's not time for a change. I think the biggest change that I plan on making is putting more of my efforts into the people that matter the most to me. That would be the people that I love and the people that love me. I came to the realization at the end of 2012 that I would often concern myself with the thoughts and feelings of those who didn't really care about me. As of result of this wasted time and effort, I also realized that the ones that truly care about me were basically just pushed aside. I believe this will de-stress my life, give me more time to focus my efforts on the ones I love and deserve my love, and will cut out the negativity in my life. My family is what matters the most to me, and my husband and kids are always first in my life. Wanting the very best for them in life is all I want. My husband has been through ups and downs in his life that the stability of our marriage has always been a constant for him (and me). I'm so thankful for everything he does for our family and that he always puts our best interests first. He has worked so hard to get through school to support our family. He has served his country, and even in a war-zone. He has served his fellow man by going on a mission. He's a great man. He protects us from any harm that will come our way no matter what. He is a great Patriarch and Priesthood Leader of our family. As for my three sons, I love them. I appreciate how much they love me. They are all so protective of me. I was witness to this on an occassion where it was apparent to those involved that my children were going to "protect their mother" in a situation where I was wronged. After observing my husband and my children, I realized that they are the ones who deserve my protection at all times. Sometimes they try to be "tough", but those are the times I think they need my support and protection the most. My parents and my siblings are no different. I have parents that have loved my kids from the day they were born, and then loved them even more with every visit. They adore my husband and treat him like he was there own. (I love that he even calls them "Dad and Mom".) I have a sister who I speak to daily, and I love that I have that kind of relationship with her. I'm thankful that she understands me, but also is unafraid to tell me I'm wrong when I am. I have a brother who adores our kids, I love that he's a big kid himself. He is always supportive of us and I wish we saw him more. (I wish we saw more of all of them.) I love my nephews and niece, and I love that they love their Auntie Mel. I also have a wonderful sister-in-law who is one of my dearest friends. I'm so thankful that she and I have a great relationship and understand each other. She is married to my husband's brother, and for that I am thankful. They are a great pair and I adore their family. I love them all and that is where I need to focus my energy. My true friends I consider a part of my family. I want to continue supporting those who support me, care for those who care for me, and love those who love me. I have had people come into my life and have touched my life in such a way that I know we were meant to meet. I am so thankful for my friends from years ago and even now. As of lately I have been able to touch base with a friend from Boston, and what a wonderful encounter that was. He was one of the many people who helped Jeremy and I obtain student loans while in dental school. And once again, he was our guardian angel who wanted to help us out again. I also have a couple of friends from work that have truly become a part of my family, and they have adopted us as family. Karen and Michelle are a mother and daughter pair that have worked with me at the hospital for the past year. They live a couple of blocks from us. You know when you meet kindred spirits? Well, we are definitely kindred spirits! When I'm down they lift me up, when I'm happy they are right there celebrating with me. Karen refers to herself as my kids' "Other Grandma", and for Jeremy and I we are her "Other kids". I love her for being there for us through thick and thin. When my mom can't be there in person, she's the one that steps in. And Michelle, she is definitely my adopted sister. I love her. She's just like Karen, except she's "Auntie Chelle". I really don't know what I would do without my friends like these. They don't judge me, they accept me for who I am, and they love my family. I have another wonderful friend who is another kindred spirit that is in my life. I use to think moving to New Hampshire was somewhat of a mistake, but then I think one of the main reasons we were meant to be there was to meet the Millis family who became like our own. I'm so thankful for Jan and her friendship. I just adore her. So that's what I'm aiming for 2013 and beyond, I'm removing the negativity from my life and replacing it with happiness and love. I am shifting my efforts towards the good in life, the good in my life, and the ones that truly care about me and my family.

1 comment:

Mama Bear said...

Wow! That's is deep, and I love it because it's so true!

Thanks for reminding me of the love around me already.

Susan