Sunday, February 10, 2008

Up early and not sure what to do with myself...

Yes indeed, I am up early, before everyone else (surprisingly), and I'm not sure what to do with myself. I thought about flipping on the television, but I really don't want to hear about the Presidential Candidates anymore. I thought about eating breakfast early, but I'd rather wait for the kids and Jeremy for that. So I get to write on my blog for a little while.

This week has been great. Jeremy has finished his paperwork for his last day in the Army. We were out driving last night and we decided that the last 3 years with the miliary hasn't been that bad. It's gone by fast, and Jeremy's military career has been stellar. I've had a good time working for the school district here and I will miss it. The kids have had good academic and social experiences here also. The only thing we will not miss is the area. There isn't anything to do around here. We miss eating: Greek, Indian, Japanese, real Chinese, Vietnamese, and real Italian food. We miss having the ocean and mountains near us. Other than that it hasn't been too bad. I know Jason is going to miss being in Junior High and being all the rage. When we move back east most of the school go from K-8 so he'll be back in "Elementary School". We're just hoping that they have sports teams he can join. Calvin is our happy-go lucky fellow. He's happy anywhere.

I will also miss my friends who will also be leaving this post. I have friends moving to Virginia, Maryland, Texas, Washington, and Hawaii. It seems as though 3 years is the moving time for most people in the Army. I'm so thankful for the friends I have made and I hope to stay in touch with them. I know it's tough keeping in touch, but I can always hope. Today I am going to pick up one of my friends from the airport. I haven't seen her in a year, but we have stayed close regardless of our distance. Annika and her children have been in Germany for the past year and I have missed her dearly. She has been one of my closest friends that I have met on Ft. Riley. I'm so excited to see them again.

This week has also been good for our Grandma Joan. Gr. Joan had a brain aneurysm a month ago today and she wasn't given much of a chance to live- I believe they said 15%. Boy did she prove them wrong again. She was transfered this week to a rehabilitation hospital where they feel she will spend a couple more weeks before they can release her to go home. I'm so happy that she's doing great! As for Grandpa George, well I think his heart attack last month was just a scare. He seems to be doing fine. He's been working in the shop and almost at 100% again. And lucky him, he gets to drive again. As for my sister Vanessa's house, it will be back to normal again. She has been driving George to the hospital every day to visit with Joan, and has been housing family members so that they wouldn't have to have such a long drive into Toronto to get to the hospital.

Vanessa has a new dilema though. Her year long maternity leave will be over in June and she is having the most difficult time. She would like to stay home with her children instead of going back to work, but her husband thinks otherwise. I think she has become such a good mom and she realizes how important it is that she raise her kids. I really hope that she can stay home for a few more years.

As for me, I will be a stay-at-home mome as of the second week of June. We've decided that we're in the position where I can do this without any financial distress on our family. I'm so excited about it. Being home with the kids, and making our home a "comfortable home" makes me so happy. And now that I'll have more time to do this will make things so easy.

Oh, I hear footsteps upstairs- and yes, here's Jason coming down the stairs..... I'm going to go start on breakfast. Hope you and yours are healthy and happy. Take Care.
-Melanie

1 comment:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Mel,
Thanks for the update. We're so excited for you guys...although now you'll be even further away!